Friday, January 20, 2012

Devon Hascarl One-on-One

Here it is, the first edition of One-on-One! Today, my special guest is Westside Warrior forward Devon Hascarl. Devon is an 18 year old from Vernon who came to the Warriors from Revelstoke of the KIJHL. Here's the interview! 



View Devon's stats here: Click Here!



Q1:
Well Devon, thanks for taking the time out of your Friday to join me. The first question has to do with your advancement to the BCHL earlier this season, you were previously with the KIJHL's Revelstoke Grizzlies before signing with Westside, what would you say was the hardest part of making the jump to Junior A?

Devon:
Well of course jumping from Junior B to A is always a big jump, not only in speed but in overall skill. So far I have found the BCHL to be not as difficult as a player would think it to be. Yes you're playing against better players but you often forget to take into count that you're also playing with better players therefor you get passes, support and plays that you wouldn't usually get in the KIJHL. This makes the game a bit easier and more simple. also Junior B plays the majority of their games in smaller rinks which gives the players less room and less time to make better plays. So for me, the hardest part of making a jump to Junior A was simply taking my time out there and not panicing and taking a look to make a smart play.


Q2:
Going in to the final stretch of your rookie season, the Warriors currently sit 10 points out of the playoffs, what do you think the team needs to do if you want to not just make it to the post season, but make it deep?
Devon: 
Well our team has undergone many changes in the last month, but the players we have now our here to stay. We were just on a three game winning streak and lost against Merritt in a 2-1 game with roughly twelve penalties. The point is our team has been playing excellent lately and to make playoffs we just have to buy into the systems and play our game; that's where we have our success. To make playoffs our team will need to win almost all of the rest of our games. Therefore our team will just keep improving each game as we have been. To go deep in playoffs we will just have to play Warriors hockey and play hard and play to win.


Q3:
As a 16 year old you cracked the lineup of the Chase Chiefs KIJHL squad, before being reassigned to Midget AAA in Vernon a few weeks in to the season, last season, you were a late cut by the Powell River Kings. This season you were a late cut by the Warriors before getting signed 22 games back. Do you have anything to pass on to youngsters who may also experience speedbumps along the way, that could help them better themselves on and off the ice?

Devon:
Well as a 16 year old trying out for the Chase Chiefs i walked in as a nobody. Neither of the coaches or the scouts had ever heard of me and they already had players in mind to fill the one open spot they had for a 16 year old. As the players were trimmed down more and more, I was finally signed as the 2nd sixteen year old for the Chiefs. In Powell River it was almost the same thing. Having only stayed a few weeks for both teams I did see a positive,  I was still young. So I went out and made a Junior B team, then the next year(this season) made a Junior A team. Although I didn't stick I felt I had the talent to play both of the years. Westside was the first team I had ever tried out for that actually knew me, liked me, and was interested in me. I think that was the reason I didn't make Westside at the start of the year. I didn't train as if I was a nobody, I didn't have the mentality that if there was one open spot on the team, that the spot was mine. When I got back to Revelstoke, I quickly realized I had to practice and train so hard, and that's exactly what I did; and a few months later I was signed as a Warrior. All I have to say to any of the young players is if you're trying out for a team, have the best cardio in camp, it will help to stand out. And never think you can't make a team. Hockey is a business; be better than the next guy and the spot is yours.


Q4:
As the team has a bitter rivalry with the Penticton Vees, you obviously have bitter feelings towards them. The Vees have been the monster in the BCHL this season, but the Warriors have come close several times, including a 3-2 OT loss back in December that still stands as the Vees only non-regulation win on their current winning streak. What do you think the Warriors should do differently if you want to come out on the right side of the scoreboard tonight in Penicton?

Devon:
Well the Vees are obviously a skilled team, but that doesn't mean they're unbeatable. The key to beating Penticton is to not let them make skilled plays. This means defense comes first, stay on your man and stay out of the box. Little to no penalties tonight is a big factor for us if we wish to be successful. We're a hard working team and our plan is to simply outwork them and win the special teams game tonight.

Q5: 
Well Devon, thanks again for joining us. Best of luck in Penticton tonight! We'll wrap things up on a little more personal note here, before the games, do you have anything special you like to do to both mentally and physically prepare yourself on game days? 


Devon:
Well I guess I'm a bit of a weird guy on my pre-game routine. Before I head to the rink, I'll just relax, watch TV or even play some video games. I have a pre-game meal 2 hours before I head to the rink. At the rink I do the same thing every time, get changed, tape my stick, in which I usually leave it off to the side away from everyone else' and the blade can't be touching the ground.


Check back next week for another edition of One-on-One! Again, thanks to Devon for taking the time out to do this. Next week, I'll chat with a player who has been around the league for a few years, and just got his first change of scenery back at the deadline. 


No comments:

Post a Comment