Sunday, January 29, 2012

One-on-One with Jordon Cooke(Kelowna Rockets)

I had the pleasure of chatting with one of the WHL's elite secondary goaltenders, Jordon Cooke of the Kelowna Rockets. Cooke has appeared in 15 games this season and has a 5-5-2-2 record with an impressive .916 save percentage. Watch for Jordon next season as he battles to be one of the premier starters in the league!

View his stats by clicking this link!

To follow Jordon and the Rockets, check out Regan Bartel's awesome Rockets blog, Regan's Rant!



Q:
Jordon, you come to Kelowna from Leduc, Alberta, a city of about 22,000 just outside of Edmonton. Now, coming from a smaller town you've obviously seen some of the old barns around Alberta, which are always fun to play in; but is there a certain WHL barn that you always get pumped up to play in? and why?

Jordon:
It’s a given that our rink in Kelowna is one of the rinks I always get pumped up to play in but being on the road visiting the states and the prairies, my favorite rink that always gets me pumped up to play must be Everett. They have some great fans and create a great atmosphere to play in.


Q:
Now in your second season as a Rocket, having Adam Brown as an older mentor has obviously helped, is there any veterans on the team that have also played a large role in making your adjustment to the next level that much easier?

Jordon:
Adam has done lots for me, as my rookie year came to an end he was extremely helpful, but while doing so Tyson Barrie also taught me lots; just by the way he prepared and how he would move on from a mistake or a bad game, if ever having one. He showed great leadership and was so easy to learn from the things he did around the room or on the ice to play his best.


Q:
As your sophomore season winds down, over this upcoming off season, Brown will be graduating from the Rockets program, is there anything you plan on working extra hard on over the summer so you can ensure you'll come to camp ready to compete for a starter position?

Jordon:
As an athlete I’m always trying to get better so of course I’ll do all I can to be the most prepared for next season. I’ll spend more time working with my goalie coach John Stevenson back home and train off ice even harder.


Q:
Over the last couple of seasons you have strongly established yourself as a talented backup to Adam Brown, do you have any advice to keep younger goalies composed and confident through those times they may be on the bench more than on the ice?

Jordon:
The most important advice I can give to goalies battling times on the bench is not to give up even when times are rough. Work hard every chance you get and your time will come. When it does, you’ll be prepared and play well.


Q:
As a rookie last season, you played in some huge games, is there any that really stand out as a night you will never forget? And how about this season?

Jordon:
In my rookie year I will never forget my first ever start in a WHL game. We were in Everett and came back from a 3-0 deficit and 4-3 in a shootout and I was given first star honors with 36 saves. This year I think my most stand out game would of been again in Everett where we won 3-2 in a shootout and I finished with 39 saves and first star honors.


Q:
I hope there are many more memorable games to come in your future, thank you for doing this Jordon and best of luck with the rest of the season and keep up the hard work.

Jordon:
Thank you very much for this opportunity!

No comments:

Post a Comment