Friday, March 23, 2012

Flyers Drop Game One of Savage Cup:

Was in the booth for tonight's first game of the Savage Cup between the Powell River Regals and the Fort St John Flyers, and it was a back and forth affair that ended in a 4-2 score in favor of the Regals. Powell River played hard for a whole 60 minutes and it proved worthy as they go up 1-0 in the Best of 5 series.

The game began with some sloppy play by each sides, and the games first goal would come just over five minutes in to the first period on a nifty play involving Ryan Carter, Ian Munro and Paul Wiens. The goal came after Wiens worked hard to free up the puck along the half wall, before he passed it down low to Carter who dished the puck in front to Munro who was waiting on the doorstep to bury the biscuit to open the scoring and give the Flyers the first goal of the Savage Cup. The Regals would respond before the break, with just over 5 minutes remaining in the opening frame Andy Welsh would pot home a one timer that had Flyers netminder Kirby Halcrow laying flat across the crease. Shots on goal after one would be in favor of the Regals, 13-6.

In the second period, the Flyers would find themselves behind the 8-ball midway through the frame, as captain Rick McLaren would put the Regals up 2-1 after Aaron Schepers put the Flyers down a man, something that happened 5 times in the contest, with McLaren notching the only powerplay marker. Tyler Gow and Andy Welsh would pick up the assists. To make things worse, the Regals would go up 3-1 before the break, when Scott Kirton fired home his first, on a nifty setup from a man who was the Regals star of the game, John Coyle. The Regals would score 2 goals on 13 second period shots, while the Flyers weren't able to muster up many opportunities, getting 9 shots, bringing them to 15 after 40 minutes. Both teams would take a single penalty in the second, both stick infractions; something that happened on 7 of the 10 penalties given in the game.

Luke Middleton would give the Flyers a taste of blood, with a bullet slap shot from just beneath the face off dot that beat netminder Justin Mulholland over the shoulder in to the top corner. The goal came with just under 3 minutes remaining, and Munro and Carter would pick up their second assists of the evening. It would then become a real nail biter as John Coyle would sit for hooking down Todd Alexander, who was smashing bodies in to boards from the initial drop of the puck. During the powerplay, the rust would catch up to the Flyers, as Jason Deleurme and Ryan Carter would get immensely tangled up in the neutral zone while the puck was in deep, but a high dump by the Regals would cause a key turnover and Chris Tarr would make absolutely no mistake, streaking in on Halcrow and beating him low glove side to seal the deal with just over 2 minutes to go in regulation. Halcrow would hit the bench and a time out would be called, but it was too little too late as the Regals hung on for a 4-2 victory and a 1-0 series lead in the Savage Cup Best of 5, final shots would count up to 35-24 in favor of Powell River.

Tonight’s game was a learning curve for both teams, and tomorrow we should see a completely different contest, which begins at 7:30. All the action can be caught on 100.1 Moose FM in Fort St John, or online at The pre-game show will begin at 7:15 with Dustin Scafe live from the booth at the Hap Parker Arena! If you have any comments you'd like to share with Dustin, email him at Thanks and see you at the rink!


No comments:

Post a Comment