Sunday, July 29, 2012

A New Chapter:





On Tuesday I was pleased to announce that I had been hired by CJVR and CK750 in Melfort, Saskatchewan to be the voice of the Nipawin Hawks and the Melfort Mustangs.


I will be working closely with Branden Crowe this season to bring over 60 games to the radio and all Mustang home games to the internet. Over the next few weeks, I will be breaking down the rosters, learning about the teams and the communities, and getting to know people like never before so keep the blog on your Favorites as there will be posts 'aplenty! I will be starting in Melfort on August 13th, and I can't wait for the new challenge; but with that comes a big thank you to where I am coming from.


The staff at Moose FM in Fort St John treated me second-to-none. They gave me a shot with only a season of volunteer play by play experience, and I learned so much over the past year that will allow me to continue to improve. I want to send a big thank you to Adam Reaburn and Brad Russell for teaching me so much and always going out of their way to help me improve, the skills they have taught me both professionally and li. The friendships I have built here will never be forgotten, from Sean Assor to Erica Fisher to the guys on the Fort St John Flyers; everyone I have gotten close to here helped me achieve this next step and I hope to see them again down the road.


Now, on to the future; I am very excited to be heading to Melfort and cannot wait for the first game night on September 21st when Nipawin visits La Ronge and Flin Flon is hosted by Melfort. Branden and I are going to work very closely this season to give you the best quality broadcasts you have heard to date! The list of names of people who have been in my shoes is incredible, from Fraser Rodgers to Brian Munz, and I hope I am able to follow in their footsteps.


The Mustangs finished last season with 32 points, which was 2nd last in the 12 team SJHL, ahead of just the Kindersley Klippers. They also scored 28 less goals then that of the next lowest offensive team, something that needs to change if success is going to happen this season in Melfort. Last season, Andrew Pickering was the only skater to play in all 58 contests, which created a roster problem from top to bottom as 40 skaters would end up wearing the blue and green at some point during the regular season. Despite winning just 7 games, netminder Jesse Wilkins still put up a solid .900 save percentage, so he is sure to lead Melfort to a lot more then 7 victories this season. Riley Boomgaarden and Regan Wilton are two of many big name recruits coming in this season.


Nipawin, on the other hands, was very succesful last season finishing in 4th in the SJHL standings. The Hawks had 10 skaters put up 10 goals or more, giving them one of the deepest lineup in the entire SJHL last season. As the next few weeks go by, I'll get a couple posts up beginning with the Hawks roster and who to expect to break out in 2012/2013. After the Hawks sequence is complete, we'll go in depth with the Mustangs lineup. 


The Quest to Summerside is ON!!

No comments:

Post a Comment