Friday, August 31, 2012

Hawks Camp Update(Game 1):


Training Camp is officially underway for Nipawin Hawks, and the first scrimmage was a hard fought one between Team Black and Team White(No, I'm not color blind). The final score was 6-6. I only managed to be mentally focused for the

While I don't have a list with stats, I will point out a few players I have been impressed with so far.


White
-Michael Lambert was buzzing for the final 30 minutes of the game that I managed to catch. Every time he got the puck he made it get to the net. He tied the game up in the final minutes with a nifty wraparound, one that reminded me of a young Dustin Scafe.. Except he scored.

-Carter Coben looked like he was really getting the feel of the Junior A game, and boy he was doing it well. I see why the Vancouver Giants took him 219th overall in the Bantam Draft back in 2009. Played Midget in Saskatoon last year, but was wearing a visor, looks like he's earned it.

Black
-Mitch Doell was working hard in the corners and did what he had to do defensively to get the puck deep and create offense. The returning vet will be relied on to play a big role this year, I would be lying if I said he isn't capable of a point per game at this level.

-Ryan Ostertag had the puck going his way today. He kept it on his stick easily and looked to be almost holding himself back a little. Smart with the puck, good active stick. Expect a big year from this guy. It'll be his 3rd season in the SJHL, but 1st full season as a Hawk.

 Game 2 is just about to get underway between Team Green and Team Gold, I'll post a more in depth look after that game, as I will have a better chance to watch. Follow me on twitter to keep up to date by the minute @dustinscafe

No comments:

Post a Comment