Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Hawks Weekend Recap:

The Nipawin Hawks went in to La Ronge on Friday night knowing they were going to face an inexperienced and fresh faced Ice Wolves team.

But what they didn't know, was that led by Nathan Boyer and Myles Hovdebo, the Ice Wolves were prepared and ready to play.

It took just 46 seconds for the Hawks to open the scoring in La Ronge, as Jesse Williamson fired, errr flicked, a puck up and over the heads of 4 or 5 players, including netminder Hovdebo. Jesse Bernard and Tad Kozun, who both played crucial roles in the game picked up the assists.

La Ronge would strike back less then a minute later, with Pavlo Zerebecky beating Davis Jones on the man advantage. Midway through the first, the Ice Wolves would take the lead with another powerplay goal(according to the SJHL website, although no one was in the box at the time) scored by Brennan Ritchie.

Early in the 2nd, Tad Kozun would get his first of the season off a setup by Bernard and Grant Jensen, and the 2-2 tie would last until midway through the third when Eric Bollefer put the Hawks in to the lead with Bernard and Michael Lambert getting assists.

Rhyse Dieno would bury a chance in front with just over 5 minutes to go in regulation, with Boyer picking up his 2nd assist of the night.

After regulation, David Jones made 39 of 42 stops and Myles Hovdebo stopped 38 of 42.

In overtime, both teams would exchange minimal chances and the game would then head to a shootout.

The second shooter for La Ronge, Nathan Boyer, would score, leaving Ryan Ostertag a chance to send the shootout on, but a diving poke check by Hovdebo would send the crowd in to a frenzy with fish covered ice, as the Ice Wolves won 4-3 in the shootout.

The following night, these two teams would meet up at the Cage for the Hawks home opener.

Revenge would be sweet for the Hawks as they would beat the Ice Wolves in similar fashion, in a shootout.

Brett Mcnevin opened the scoring to silence the Hawks home opening crowd, but four and a half minutes later Keenan Martens would bury his 1st from Eric Bollefer and Taylor Balog.

In the 2nd, the Ice Wolves would appear to 'open the flood gates', scoring 3 straight goals.Pavlo Zerebecky got it started before Brendan Boyd and Nathan Boyer added insurance. Just 17 seconds following Boyers' goal, Brenden Hopkins would get a goal from Dustin Skilliter and Garret Lockridge to make it 4-2 La Ronge.

To the third, and Brady Zerr scores a early goal to pull the Hawks within one, with Taylor Balog collecting his 2nd assist. 10 minutes later, Nipawin would tie the game with a powerplay goal from Ryan Ostertag. Captain Jeff Datoff and Wheaton King picked up the helpers.

After an overtime of 4-on-4, the two teams would head to the shootout, and the goal scorers would be the previously mentioned couple of players; Datoff and King. The crowd went home happy and the Hawks gave the fans a salute to victory.

Next Hawks game will be Friday when the Estevan Bruins come to town. 7:30 puck drop at the Cage.

No comments:

Post a Comment