Sunday, May 18, 2014

Yorkton Terriers Come Back To Win First Ever RBC Cup In Overtime:

After more than a week of Canada's best Junior A teams duking it out at Kal Tire Place in Vernon, the Champion has been crowned and the storyline couldn't have been any better.

With the Vernon Vipers winning the 1999 RBC Cup in Yorkton, the Terriers knew there was a chance for redemption that dates back over a decade. To top it off, Riley Hunt, Corltan Procter and Josh Ellis returned to the region they call home with many supporters cheering them on.

Yorkton looked down and out, unable to get past a very strong defensive team in the Carleton Place Canadians; that is until a quick outburst took all momentum from the CCHL & Fred Page Cup Champions, and gave it to the SJHL & Western Canada Cup Champions.

I have attached a couple interviews below with Terriers Voice Benny Walchuk, as well as TSN's Ryan Moir(former-Merritt Centennial).

On Monday, there will be further updates and thank you notes to be posted, so keep checking back!

This was written by Monte Stewart with the Canadian Press:

VERNON, B.C. — Derek Falloon could not have asked for a better way to end his junior hockey career Sunday.

 Falloon’s goal at 15:01 of overtime sealed the Yorkton Terriers’ first RBC Cup championship with a 4-3 victory over the Carleton Place Canadians.

He jammed in a rebound to cap Yorkton’s comeback from a 3-1 deficit with less than three minutes left in regulation time.

“It’s unbelievable. It’s just the best feeling and I don’t think I’ll ever score a bigger goal than that for the rest of my life,” said Falloon, 21, who has used up his junior eligibility.

Falloon’s goal gave the Terriers their first Canadian Junior A championship in their fifth trip to the tournament. Yorkton placed second to the Burnaby Express, led by current Ottawa Senators centre Kyle Turris, in their last trip to the RBC Cup in Streetsville, Ont., in 2006. The Terriers had finished no better than third in their three other trips, all in the 1990s.

The puck barely crossed the line as Carleton Place goaltender Guillaume Therien attempted to cover it. While the crowd waited, the referee confirmed it was a goal.

Kelowna's Cortlan Procter and Corwin Stevely.
After trailing 3-1 at the end of the second period, the Terriers forced overtime with goals from Tanner Lishchynsky and Dylan Johnson eight seconds apart in the last three minutes of the third period. Daylan Gatzke had Yorkton’s other goal and Kale Thompson made 31 saves.

Anthony McVeigh, Stephen Baylis and Andy Sturtz scored for the Canadians while Therien stopped 42 shots in the losing effort.

Falloon’s overtime winner was his second of the tournament. He also scored in extra time against Dauphin in the round robin.

“I guess I just happened to be at the right place at the right time,” said Falloon. “I’m sure any of the boys could have it. Lucky me, I guess.”

Falloon missed the first three games of this tournament with his third concussion of the season, suffered in the Saskatchewan Junior Hockey League playoffs. He missed most of the Western Canadian championship tournament, from which Yorkton qualified for the RBC Cup.

Yorkton General Manager Don Chesney said Falloon’s return brought life to Yorkton’s lineup.

Riley Hunt and his family.
“He has a flair for the dramatic,” said Chesney. “I joked around saying his first overtime goal didn’t make the back of the net. The RBC Cup-winning one, I think, made it — maybe a few inches over the goal-line. But in 10, 20 years, that’ll be the nicest goal he ever scored and the biggest goal he ever scored.”

Johnson also provided some drama as his tying goal, at 17:20 of the third period atoned for an interference penalty he took at 14:05.

“To be honest, when we got that penalty with five minutes left, it was not looking too good, and they shut us down pretty good,” said Chesney. “We didn’t create a lot of high-quality scoring chances.”

Added Johnson: “That goal felt great, especially after getting that penalty a couple minutes before that. Getting that goal was unreal. It brought the life back into the fans. After we got that, we knew this was ours.”



No comments:

Post a Comment